Come to the Dark Side, We Have Cookies

Welcome to my sleep deprived world of work, dust bunnies, and a crazy cat. I admit it's a little scary, but really it's all good

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Thinness isn't worth dying for

I've been working on a paper for my social studies class these past few days. It's supposed to be a paper on an issue affecting women, so for lack of anything else to choose, and maybe knowing I could find a lot of info on it, I chose dieting and women. I know that there are so many women out there that are so convinced that they have to look a certain way in order to get somewhere, but somehow I don't think I ever really fully comprehended the shear amount of women that would literally die to be thin. As I was reading through these articles it made me feel sick the things that women do to their bodies (I won't even begin to list them) to become thin. I guess I just started realizing how lucky I am not to be in that same situation and how lucky I am to have parents who always told me that I am more than just a set of tits and an ass and that I don't have to conform to the extreme thin ideal in order to get where I want to be.

Another thing that I started thinking about as well is how we as a society went from idealizing a size 10-12 for a woman to idealizing Kate Moss with a dress size of...2 maybe? Or is that still 'too big'? In relation the the size thing I was also reading a recent article that says that the size 14 (which is what many plus sizes start at now) is the average size of most women and a 40 waist is the average size of most men. The set up of the article seemed to me that they were condoning people of these sizes and seeing them as too big. What I'm wondering though is who is it exactly within the media or fashion industry that decides what size is 'to big'? Quite frankly, yes, I am probably a little bigger than is the 'ideal' weight for my height, but quite frankly, even if I reach that weight, I don't think I'll be any smaller than a size 12. Why? It's because I HAVE HIPS!! I love my hips. Most women have hips. But for some reason the fashion industry seems to not want to acknowledge this fact and keeps making a lot of clothing to fit the supermodel figures on magazines which are often an image of not one women, but many. Surprised? You really shouldn't be. Now with the technology of computers, the ideal female figure is an impossible goal unless you are naturally that thin, and even then, there will still probably be something the someone would think wasn't quite 'right', which most women aren't, nor do they have the bone-structure for it either.

I guess it just sickens me the amount of women who are trying to reach this unattainable ideal and I sort of feel sorry for them as well because the time they are spending trying to pattern themselves after what they are bombarded with, they could be spending doing something...finding out who they really are, and what their talents are that will ultimately help them succeed more than a size 2 waist and a DD chest.

But with that little rant being said, I should go move the towel back into the bathroom sink as my cat is yelling at me because it got moved out and now she can't go to sleep.

Take Care

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home